Wednesday 31 January 2018

purple fingerprints

I knew I wanted to draw the other day, but I didn't know what I wanted to draw.  Too many choices, too many pens, papers, tangles, decisions, doubts.

So I just started playing.  First off messing about with what was within reach.  Then recalling that I'd long wanted to try tangling with an ink pen having been regularly inspired by the wonderful blots and beauties by Michele Wynne.

I often write with coloured ink so in my pen pot at this moment I have a good quality fountain pen containing grey ink.  But I didn't want to risk damaging that nib on rough paper!  But I also had a cheap pen filled with Diamine's Damson, and a Herbin rollerball with a Ruby Red Kaweco cardridge in it.

So that's what I used, on an A6 rectangle of Khadi paper.  Some Mooka, some Dublin.  Lots of water, lots of mess.  Some discomfort that I didn't have as much control as useful, but also the liberty that comes with that.  Once it was all dry I went back in for the shading and highlights, and a little bit of black Printemps down the sides - and felt more in my comfort zone.



And I love the finished piece - I see rain-wrecked bedrooms, vines claiming the spaces broken-hearted lovers have long vacated. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! that is just stunning Jem! I love the colors and the bit of bleeding ink and the dimension you've achieved in the shading is quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you like it Michele. You wouldn't believe how many times I visited your blog for 'virtual guidance' while I was drawing it!

      Delete
  2. I must say, if the bleeding would happen with ME (!), I would call it a disaster and throw the tile away. With you a disaster looks like Michele says: STUNNING! I think I mentioned it before, I 'hate' people who are able/capable to bring the best out of a tile no matter what and create a masterpiece!!!!!!! Hat off, Jem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie! It was a different experience, much less precise than usual for me. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but the challenge was good.

      Today I was back with a fine black pen drawing Paradox for IAST and I think it's much more in your comfort zone!

      Delete
  3. What a WONDERFUL treatment of Dublin! the layering is so wonderful, and yes the colors are perfectly suited for a shabby, deserted lovers' bower. It's superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version of Mooka and I also love the way you colour your tangles. Great work.

    ReplyDelete