Thursday 15 June 2017

breaking the rules

Anything that encourages me to slow down and take my time is a good thing - so meeting Margaret Bremner's Dansk tangle via this week's Diva Challenge was most welcome.

Margaret suggests we don't start with too many individual Dansk sections - but it's always tempting to want more, more, more of a pleasing tangle.  I kept my numbers fairly limited in this first tile drawn onto a background I'd coloured using Distress Inks. 


There was no additional colour added - just graphite and a little white pencil for highlights.  It's tempting to shade with more colour but sometimes I like to stick the muted tones of the background alone. As the Dansk grew bigger, it was easier for my auras to grow a little wobbly, but I just about managed to tame them.  This reminds me of 70's wall paper, of peacocks, of coffee drunk at dusk.

I had another go with Dansk on an original Zentangle tile.  The tooth of the paper made my line slower and short tails on the Dansk also meant the auras were more manageable.  I couldn't resist squeezing in more this time and I changed the tangle a bit by interweaving the auras too.  I built up the graphite shading layer by layer to add a sense of roundness to the two panels. 


I like the way my eye plays with what I'm seeing - am I looking through white bars to the scene beyond - stylized waves on a stormy sea.  Or am I about to reach out and touch two ornate tubes, perhaps part of a strange engraved musical instrument?  Zentangle is not meant to look like anything in particular, but my mind can't help but make up stories to explain the things my pen has done.

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully executed! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you have intermingled the dansk Tangles on the second tile! It looks so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! I envy your steady hand;-) I love the dimension you achieved on the white tile with the alternating auras. I'm inspired to keep practicing this one as it definitely has a place in my repertoire. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit that sometimes I skim blog posts. However when I read about peacocks drunk on coffee at dusk, I knew it was time to slow down! I do like how you used negative space, and you certainly have tamed those auras in these graceful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Jean, I love the use of negative space!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both tiles are great but prefer the one with the inks. Nice perspective on the Dansk bands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Dansk drawing!! I wished I could draw line auras like that.

    ReplyDelete